Ask Google

Friday, April 15, 2011

Vancouver Fashion Week 2011 April Night 3


This was a long day at Vancouver Fashion Week.  Doors opened late- probably some logistics issue, there were a dozen designers to be featured that day:
Andrea Hilbrecht, Wilber Tellez, Brittany Wacher, Liuba Palanciuc, Melissa Squire, Queenie Luo, Sarah Runnalls, Pouneh Askarian, Tanya Min Jee Ellis, Mackenzie Sam, Elen Danielle, Story of a Girl + Blushing Designs - Shelley Klassen

Anyways, by the time the footage was offloaded, I was too tired to go to the after party.  It's okay, I'll go to one later.  I very much enjoy nightclub photography... probably because I get to walk around instead of getting stuck in one spot all day.

Looking forward to another awesome show today.

See more photos at my FLICKR! (I'm filming video most of the shows, but I'll be taking photos on the ones I'm not commissioned to do videos)



*Nerd stuff:
Photographers ask me what settings I use (see my equipment list in my last entry):

Color temperature: 3200K

For photo, I shoot at-
iso 1600, f/2.8 at 1/250s.
Lighting changes as the models walk down the runway, but that can be fixed in post.  If you let the camera do the metering, it'll slow down your shots.  Better to let it run full manual so you can snap faster.  Although, with that in mind, I still use one button for auto focus and a separate button for the actual shutter, and shoot one frame at a time.

For video, my settings are:
Iso 400, f/2.8 at 1/60s, 1080p at 30fps.
The focus is manual, so I am indeed focus pulling all day.  I don't use a follow focus for this project because I need one hand to zoom and focus at the same time (index finger to pull focus, middle finger to control zoom) while the other hand stabilizes.

Recommendation for using slower lens:
Some photographers were using the slower variable-aperture lenses (i.e. f/3.5-5.6).  If you're using a newer camera body that allows higher ISO then you'll have to crank it up to around 3200 to capture the images.  Then the setting would look like:
iso 3200, f5.6, 1/125s

If the lens has image stabilization, and you have a monopod, you can still take nice images when they come in for a pause at the end of the runway.

If you have an older camera body that only goes up to ISO 1600, you'll have to get up front, go wide (wide angle side, you'll be able to drop to f/3.5), and shoot as slow as 1/100s.



No comments:

Post a Comment